Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wonder Woman #12

Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artist: Cliff Chiang

Solo books are on a roll this week -that includes female solo books; now the turn is for the amazon warrior's title to kick butt. During Wonder Woman's decisive fight against Hera and Apollo for the life of Zola and her unborn baby, three rocking moments close the first year of the series on the highest note. There is no easy way to sing this issue's praises without spoiling its contents, but it is worth it, so here it goes. Diana flies. Seeing the amazon princess finally take flight is the most welcome sight; it's as if the entire year of stories had been leading to this glorious instant; it is fantastic. The bracelets. This new aspect of Wonder Woman's might is the biggest surprise of all; completely unexpected and revealed in the most dramatic fashion. The betrayal. This issue has so many twists and turns that a chiropractor is recommended afterwards; Birth Right gives a new meaning to the term backstabbing. All this, plus Cliff Chiang's amazing pencils, and a BOOM!

3 comments:

  1. Dude I cannot believe I'm not reading this series. I'm thinking about picking up the trades because I've begun wishing I was reading it. Especially with the BOOM! ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been getting only the issues penciled by Cliff Chiang, but the story is extremely good. Azzarello has included several cool twists to the mythos, especially the return of the Amazon Berserker Rage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book. It's for anyone that likes greek mythology and ass kicking action.

    Seriously, if 12 months ago someone told that some of my favourite books were going to be Wonder Woman and Aquaman I would have laughed, but here we are.

    ReplyDelete